Being forced to pay for expensive insurance premiums can empty your monthly budget, especially in this economy. Performing a rate comparison is a smart way to cut your insurance bill.
Amazingly, the vast majority of insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. The average driver in Texas could save $1,766 a year, but most just don't grasp the amount of money they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
There are many insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, it can be more challenging to adequately compare rates.
It's smart to shop coverage around as often as possible since prices fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates on insurance a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because you're about to learn one of the best ways to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Score discounts to get cheaper Kerrville insurance quotes
Insurance is not inexpensive, but you can get discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some trigger automatically at quote time, but some discounts are required to be asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Membership in Organizations - Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when getting a Kerrville car insurance quote.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Have your child take driver's ed class if it's offered in school.
- Government Employee Discount - Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car model can save you some money since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Homeowners Savings - Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on insurance since owning and maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Senior Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 can get a small discount on rates.
- Sign Online - A few insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts will lower your overall bill.
Auto insurance companies that may include many of the previously listed discounts are:
Before purchasing a policy, check with every company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in Kerrville. To choose insurance companies with the best discounts in Kerrville, click this link.
When quoting insurance, remember that making a lot of price comparisons provides better odds of finding more affordable insurance. Not every company allows you to get price estimates online, so it's recommended that you also compare rates on coverage from those companies, too.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in Kerrville, TX. To get the best cheap car insurance in Texas, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,386||$693||$116|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$748||$374||$62|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$1,188||$594||$99|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,666||$833||$139|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$1,552||$776||$129|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$1,258||$629||$105|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,386||$693||$116|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,068||$534||$89|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$1,066||$533||$89|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,180||$590||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can change insurance rates noticeably.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The illustration below highlights how speeding tickets and fender-benders influence Hyundai Sonata car insurance rates for each different age category. Data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why smart buyers get cheaper prices in Kerrville
Lots of things are used when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, although some other factors are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are. Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that help calculate your policy premiums. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get cheaper rates.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces used by companies to determine rates.
Alarms and GPS tracking lowers rates - Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Anti-theft devices like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent auto theft.
Are you male or female? - Over time, data shows that women are safer drivers than men. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both genders get in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving.
Little extras can really add up - There are a ton of add-on coverages that you can buy on your policy. Add-on coverages like replacement cost coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and motor club memberships are some examples. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but now you might not need them so think about removing them and cutting costs.
Stay claim-free and lower rates - Auto insurance companies in Texas generally give most affordable rates to drivers who only file infrequent claims. If you file claims often, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance coverage is intended for the large, substantial claims.
When to get professional advice
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing your policy for your vehicles, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. You are unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Texas?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
If you can't answer these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Auto insurance agents near you
A lot of people would prefer to have an agent's advice and there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance online is you can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents that can give you free Kerrville car insurance quotes for your business. You won't even need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. You can get cheaper insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an company requires more thought than just the price. Any agent in Kerrville should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- What companies can they write with?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Texas?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Kerrville?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
What type of Kerrville car insurance agent is right for you?
If you want to buy insurance from a local agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agents in Kerrville can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel are contracted to one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They are unable to compare other company's rates so you might not find the best rates. They are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Agents of this type are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it's recommended you contact a few independent agents to get the best comparison.
If you get positive responses for all questions you ask and a good coverage price, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to provide insurance coverage. But keep in mind policyholders can terminate your policy whenever you choose to so never feel you're contractually obligated to any specific agency for the entire policy term.
Insuring your vehicle just makes sense
Despite the high cost, paying for insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will require that you have full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver overpays more than $850 per year so compare rates every year to save money.
A conclusion for your insurance search
Budget-friendly insurance in Kerrville can be sourced from both online companies and from local agencies, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
More tips and info about insurance can be found at these sites:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Laredo, Texas? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Irving, Texas? (FAQ)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- What if I Can't Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)