How many times have you told yourself to find cheaper car insurance rates in Houston, TX? Houston consumers have lots of choices when looking for the lowest priced Ford Explorer insurance. You can either spend your time calling around to compare prices or save time using the internet to make rate comparisons.
There are both good and bad ways to compare car insurance rates so you're going to learn the proper way to compare rates for a new or used Ford and locate the lowest possible price either online or from Houston insurance agents.
Shocking but true, 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average car insurance premium being $2,700, Houston drivers could pocket almost 70% a year just by comparing rates, but they just don't want to compare rates and save money.
It's important to compare prices quite often because insurance prices tend to go up over time. Even if you got the best quotes on Ford Explorer insurance in Houston at your last renewal you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the right way to buy cheaper Ford Explorer insurance in Houston.
Getting a low cost price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time comparing free Houston car insurance quotes to discover which company has affordable Houston car insurance quotes.
The following companies are ready to provide free quotes in Houston, TX. If your goal is to find the cheapest auto insurance in Houston, we recommend you click on several of them to get the lowest price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$208||$256||$500||$30||$150||$1,144||$95|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$230||$372||$496||$30||$148||$1,276||$106|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$166||$236||$392||$24||$118||$936||$78|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$206||$322||$430||$26||$128||$1,112||$93|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$232||$392||$430||$26||$128||$1,208||$101|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$228||$384||$514||$30||$154||$1,310||$109|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$202||$358||$462||$28||$138||$1,188||$99|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$264||$460||$462||$28||$138||$1,352||$113|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$176||$306||$400||$24||$120||$1,026||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in garaging location in Houston which can modify premiums greatly.
Reckless driving habits raise Houston auto insurance rates
The chart below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can influence Ford Explorer insurance premiums for different categories of driver ages. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Policy deductible comparison
The diagram below demonstrates how deductible levels and can impact Ford Explorer insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The data is based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by gender
The information below compares Ford Explorer insurance prices for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Three good reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the high cost, buying auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Explorer has a lienholder, it's guaranteed your bank will require you to have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Ford for a lot more money and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your Ford and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Houston overpays more than $810 a year so we recommend shopping around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Companies offer lots of discounts on Ford Explorer insurance in Houston
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there may be some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Senior Citizen Rates - If you're over the age of 55, you may receive a slight reduction on a Houston car insurance quote.
- Passive Restraints - Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not really a discount, but some companies like Allstate and Progressive will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Claim-Free Discount - Houston drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Smart Student Discounts - This discount may save you up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Defensive Driving Course - Successfully completing a course in defensive driving may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Insuring multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Club Memberships - Being in a qualifying organization may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% and get you low cost Ford Explorer insurance.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount will definitely reduce the cost of coverage.
The best car insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm includes discounts for student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver's education, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, and good driver.
- GEICO offers discounts for seat belt use, multi-vehicle, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, and five-year accident-free.
- Progressive offers discounts including good student, online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- 21st Century discounts include air bags, defensive driver, 55 and older, anti-lock brakes, theft prevention, and teen driver.
- American Family has savings for accident-free, defensive driver, bundled insurance, good driver, and TimeAway discount.
- The Hartford may include discounts for defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, bundle, anti-theft, air bag, good student, and driver training.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, multi-car, education and occupation, pay-in-full, multi-policy, and good driver.
When quoting, ask each company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered in your state.
Should I contact an agent?
Certain consumers would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Most agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain lower rates and still choose a local agent. Supporting local insurance agents is especially important in Houston.
After completing this quick form, your insurance data is sent to companies in Houston that can provide free Houston car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent instantly to you. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, don't hesitate to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Insurance agent types
If you are searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Agents in Houston can either be exclusive agents or independent agents. Either can handle auto insurance, but we need to point out the difference between them because it may have an impact on the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don't have to switch agencies. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you need to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison. Most have the option of insuring with smaller regional carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Featured below is a list of independent agencies in Houston that may be able to give free auto insurance quotes.
- Moon Insurance Agency
360 FM 1959 - Houston, TX 77034 - (281) 484-8320 - View Map
- Noveri Insurance Agency
2657 Gessner Rd - Houston, TX 77080 - (713) 460-9400 - View Map
- Suzanne Brown Agency-Insurance
11999 Katy Fwy #635 - Houston, TX 77079 - (281) 558-2210 - View Map
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only write with one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents primarily because of high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Below are Houston exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Sean Wong - State Farm Insurance Agent
7035 Hwy 6 N - Houston, TX 77095 - (281) 550-0555 - View Map
- Brandon Herndon - State Farm Insurance Agent
10103 Fondren Rd #150 - Houston, TX 77096 - (832) 431-4222 - View Map
- Armando Valdez - State Farm Insurance Agent
12941 North Fwy #608 - Houston, TX 77060 - (281) 537-7890 - View Map
Finding a good insurance agency is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Is there a local claims center in Houston?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Houston?
How much auto insurance do I need?
When choosing adequate coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation might need professional guidance.
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer's policy when using it for work?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Be persistent and save
As you quote Houston car insurance, it's very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an insured cut full coverage and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost.
Some companies may not provide rates over the internet and most of the time these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies. Budget-conscious Ford Explorer insurance is definitely available from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even being labeled a high risk driver. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
More information can be read below:
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Texas Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Homeowners in Texas? (FAQ)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)