Paying for high-priced Dodge Ram insurance in Houston can take a big chunk out of your savings and maybe even restrict other spending.
It's shocking but about 70% of customers kept their policy with the same company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. Drivers in Texas could save an average of as much as 70% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just don't want to compare rate quotes. Lots of auto insurance companies contend to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the absolute best rates possible on Dodge Ram insurance in Houston.
It's a good idea to check car insurance prices once or twice a year because car insurance prices are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest price on Dodge Ram insurance in Houston at your last renewal you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you're going to learn the right way to save on car insurance.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Rates
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are less obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. It's important that you understand the rating factors that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get lower rates.
The following are just a few of the factors used by insurance companies to determine your rates.
Excellent credit means lower prices - Having a bad credit score can be a huge factor in determining what you pay for insurance. So if your credit history is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Dodge Ram by spending a little time repairing your credit. People that have excellent credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores.
Drive a fast car, truck or SUV and pay more - The performance level of the car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. The lowest base rates are usually found on the lowest performance passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates. Because the Dodge Ram is considered a pickup truck, insurance will be similar in price as compared to the average rate in Houston.
Protect yourself with liability protection - Liability insurance will afford coverage if you are found to be at fault for an accident. This coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Urban areas may pay more - Having an address in less populated areas can save you money if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers and short commutes means less chance of accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Drivers in populated Texas areas have to deal with more road rage incidents and longer commute times. More time on the road means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Higher rates for specific occupations - Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs like lawyers, air traffic controllers, and emergency personnel generally have the highest average rates attributed to job stress and long work days. On the flip side, jobs such as actors, engineers and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
Qualify for multi-policy discounts - Most larger insurers will give discounts to clients that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to compare other company rates to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
The car insurance companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Texas. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Texas, we suggest you compare several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$176||$252||$440||$26||$132||$1,026||$86|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$288||$504||$414||$24||$124||$1,354||$113|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$264||$460||$520||$30||$156||$1,430||$119|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$198||$352||$560||$34||$168||$1,312||$109|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$286||$512||$486||$28||$146||$1,458||$122|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$228||$384||$582||$34||$174||$1,402||$117|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$158||$260||$404||$24||$122||$968||$81|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$288||$504||$414||$24||$124||$1,354||$113|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$206||$312||$430||$26||$128||$1,102||$92|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$288||$496||$414||$24||$124||$1,346||$112|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$412||$698||$430||$26||$128||$1,694||$141|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$288||$532||$560||$34||$168||$1,582||$132|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$344||$472||$564||$34||$168||$1,582||$132|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$318||$580||$404||$24||$122||$1,448||$121|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$254||$452||$582||$34||$174||$1,496||$125|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$258||$462||$452||$26||$136||$1,334||$111|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$258||$462||$452||$26||$136||$1,334||$111|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$322||$594||$414||$24||$124||$1,478||$123|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$196||$414||$486||$28||$146||$1,270||$106|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$234||$462||$414||$24||$124||$1,258||$105|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium costs do not factor in Houston location which can decrease or increase coverage rates noticeably.
Auto insurance rates based on gender in Houston
The example below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Ram insurance prices for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
Auto insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is required in Texas but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Dodge Ram with a loan, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Dodge at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your Dodge Ram. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $830 a year so it's recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there's a good chance there are discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some need to be asked about prior to getting the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Paperless Signup - Certain insurance companies may give you up to $50 for completing your application on the internet.
- Student Discounts - This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- College Student Discount - Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- Drive Safe and Save - Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Professional Organizations - Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations may earn a discount on your policy.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your home and auto policies and insure them with the same company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Early Signing - A few car insurance companies allow discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Ram insurance policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
As is typical with insurance, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, that's just not realistic.
Auto insurance companies that possibly offer these money-saving discounts are:
When quoting, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in every state. To view companies that offer discounts in Houston, click this link.
Shop online but buy locally
Many drivers just want to buy from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents can help you build your policy and help submit paperwork. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain better rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local agencies is definitely important in Houston.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents that can give you free Houston car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won't need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. If you have a need to compare prices from a particular provider, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Car insurance agents in Houston come in two varieties
If you are wanting to find local Houston agents, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance agencies are either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both insure your vehicles properly, but it is a good idea to know how they are different since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company and that gives them the ability to insure through lots of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
When comparing car insurance prices, we highly recommend that you get some free quotes from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are Houston independent insurance agents who may provide pricing information.
These type of agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are unable to compare other company's rates so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in Houston that can give you comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance: Harris County Insurance Agency
13030 Woodforest Blvd b - Houston, TX 77015 - (713) 451-5716 - View Map
Deciding on a insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Houston?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
Be persistent and save
We've covered a lot of techniques to lower your Dodge Ram insurance premium rates in Houston. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the lowest premium rates come from a small local company. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Abilene, TX? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Texas Car Insurance for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Texas Car Insurance Rates for Good Students? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in El Paso, Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima in Texas? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)