Are you drained from trying to scrape together enough money each month for car insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Texas consumers.
It's hard to believe, but the vast majority of consumers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. With the average car insurance premium being $2,700, Friendswood drivers can save $1,770 each year just by shopping around, but they don't believe the actual amount they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Due to the abundance of online and local companies to choose from, it can be diffult for drivers to locate the cheapest car insurance provider.
Consumers need to price shop coverage every six months since insurance prices go up and down regularly. If you had the best price on car insurance last year there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you're about to find out one of the easiest ways to get good coverage on car insurance at a lower rate.
Locating the best rates in Friendswood is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. Basically, every person who shops for insurance stands a good chance to find a lower price. But Texas car owners must understand the way insurance companies sell insurance online because rates are impacted by many factors.
Just remember that having more price comparisons helps you find the best offered rates. Not every company allows you to get online quotes, so you should also compare prices from them as well.
The companies in the list below offer free quotes in Texas. To find cheaper car insurance in Texas, it's highly recommended you visit several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$960||$480||$80|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$1,088||$544||$91|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,258||$629||$105|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,460||$730||$122|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$972||$486||$81|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$984||$492||$82|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,394||$697||$116|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,328||$664||$111|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2WD 4-Dr||$1,376||$688||$115|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,470||$735||$123|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,474||$737||$123|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can raise or lower premiums greatly.
Physical damage deductibles
One of the hardest decisions when shopping for auto insurance is which deductible level should you buy. The rates shown below summarize the differences in premium rates between high and low deductibles. The first data table uses a $250 deductible for comp and collision and the second price grid uses a $500 deductible.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can change auto insurance rates noticeably.
Based on the figures above, using a $250 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $15 more each month or $180 for a full year than selecting the higher $500 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $250 more to settle a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you go more than 17 months between claims, you would save money if you choose the higher deductible. Below is an example of how this calculation is made.
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$119|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $104|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$15|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $250):||$250|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$250 / $15|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||17 months|
One big caveat is that raising deductibles results in having to pay to pay more out-of-pocket when you have to file a claim. That will require enough money put aside in the event you have to pay more for the deductible.
Insuring your vehicle just makes sense
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Friendswood, buying car insurance is required in Texas but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will stipulate that you buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Friendswood overpays as much as $700 annually so compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Informed consumers can cut their car insurance rates
Lots of things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but others are less apparent such as whether you are married or your commute time.
Listed below are some of the items used by your company to calculate rates.
Liability coverage safeguards assets - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will afford coverage when you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. Your policy's liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Youthful drivers cost more - Older, more experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.Beginning drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
Cars with good safety ratings means better car insurance rates - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies which can mean better rates for you. If your car or truck has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you may pay a lower rate.
Cheaper rates using GPS tracking and theft deterrents - Driving a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Don't neglect these discounts
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might find some hidden discounts that you may not even know about. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Discount for New Cars - Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 could receive lower premium rates.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Having more than one vehicle with the same insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- E-sign Discounts - A handful of companies may give you up to $50 for signing up over the internet.
- Cautious Drivers - Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than less cautious drivers.
One thing to note about discounts is that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Popular insurance companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO includes discounts for emergency military deployment, anti-theft, military active duty, multi-policy, and driver training.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, multi-car, drive less, teen safety rewards, and homeowner.
- State Farm may include discounts for multiple policy, multiple autos, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and safe vehicle.
- MetLife offers discounts including defensive driver, multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, and accident-free.
- 21st Century discounts include driver training, teen driver, theft prevention, homeowners, student driver, and 55 and older.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your area. To locate insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Friendswood, click here to view.
Different people need different auto insurance coverages
When quoting and choosing a policy, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Is other people's property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Compare prices but work with a local neighborhood Friendswood car insurance agent
Some consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Friendswood who want to provide quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for an agent because prices are sent instantly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Picking a provider requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any good agent in Friendswood should know the answers to these questions.
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Friendswood?
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they are distinctly different. Agencies in Friendswood are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide one company's prices and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company's rates so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Independent agencies do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won't have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Be persistent to save money
People who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, delays in paying claims, poor customer service or even policy cancellation. It doesn't matter what your reason, choosing a new insurance company is not as hard as you think.
We've covered quite a bit of information on how to save on car insurance in Friendswood. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company.
When getting Friendswood auto insurance quotes online, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 70 in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Texas Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)