Looking for cheaper insurance rates in South Houston, TX? South Houston buyers have a choice when searching for the best price on car insurance. You can either waste hours struggling with agents trying to get quotes or use the internet to make rate comparisons.
There is a right way and a wrong way to buy insurance so we're going to tell you the best way to compare rates for a new or used and find the cheapest rates.
Statistics show that most consumers in Texas have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Many drivers in America can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they underestimate how much they could save if they replace their high priced policy.
It is always a good idea to compare premium rates quite often because insurance prices tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rate on insurance last year other companies may now be cheaper. There are lots of tips to save on insurance on the internet, but you can learn a bunch of ideas how to stop overpaying for insurance in South Houston.
This article will let you in on the best way to quote coverages and also save some money in the process If you're already insured, you should be able to get lower rates using this information. Vehicle owners just need to learn the tricks to compare rate quotes from many companies at once.
Companies offering competitive rates in Texas
The companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Texas. To locate cheap auto insurance in Texas, it's a good idea that you get rates from several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,164||$582||$97|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,026||$513||$86|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$1,634||$817||$136|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$1,282||$641||$107|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,262||$631||$105|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,180||$590||$98|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$946||$473||$79|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,498||$749||$125|
|Hyundai Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,588||$794||$132|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,578||$789||$132|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,500||$750||$125|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,068||$534||$89|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific garaging location which can influence coverage rates significantly.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The information below illustrates the difference between Honda Civic car insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The rates are based on no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are factored in.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you buy full coverage or liability only?
There is no definitive rule that is best for determining when to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Honda Civic claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $5,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Rate increases following a ticket or accident
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders impact Nissan Altima auto insurance costs for each different age category. The data is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
The diagram below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Nissan Altima insurance costs for each age group. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Determine discounts on South Houston insurance
Companies do not list all their discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy South Houston car insurance online. If you're not getting every credit available, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Resident Student - Kids who are attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Senior Citizens - Mature drivers are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you combine your home and auto policies with one insurance company you will save nearly 15% which can help you find inexpensive South Houston car insurance.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Some insurance carriers give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Smart Student Discounts - This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Sign Online - A few insurance companies will provide an incentive for buying a policy and signing up on the web.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
Remember that some credits don't apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, that's just not realistic.
Popular insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for air bags, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, federal employee, daytime running lights, driver training, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include age of vehicle, ease of repair, multi-car, professional/association, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including electronic funds transfer, early shopping, business and professional, homeowner, and youthful driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for safe vehicle, group or association, student away at school, paid in full, teen driver, good student, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for good student, newly married, new vehicle discount, teen driver discount, multi-policy, and exclusive group savings.
- SAFECO may include discounts for drive less, homeowner, multi-car, anti-theft, bundle discounts, and safe driver.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online quote discount, good student, online signing, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- USAA includes discounts for multi-policy, military installation, annual mileage, safe driver, family discount, and defensive driver.
When quoting, ask each company which discounts they offer. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in every state. To choose companies who offer online insurance quotes in Texas, follow this link.
What impacts South Houston car insurance prices?
Many different elements are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but some are less obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
The list below includes just a few of the factors used by companies to determine premiums.
- Married drivers pay less - Walking down the aisle may cut your premiums when buying car insurance. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and insurance companies like that married couples file fewer claims.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises premiums - Driving your car without having proper coverage is a big no-no and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in fines and jail time.
- Higher physical damage deductibles reduce prices - Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply would be a broken windshield, vandalism, and burglary. The deductibles define the amount you are required to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The more you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Better credit means lower costs - Credit history is a large factor in determining what you pay. So if your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Lower car insurance rates with alarm systems - Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Advanced theft deterrents like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all aid in stopping auto theft.
- Combine and save - Some car insurance companies will give discounts to insureds that purchase more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be 10 percent or more. Even if you're getting this discount you may still want to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money.
Insurance agencies are trained to help
Many people still prefer to sit down with an agent and that can be a smart move Agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get the best rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local insurance agents is still important in South Houston.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to companies in South Houston that provide free South Houston car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to leave your house since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you need to compare rates from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
When finding a local South Houston insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Agencies in South Houston can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can provide auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know how they differ because it can influence your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not restricted to one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to contact a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Many independent agencies also insure through smaller mutual companies which can be an advantage.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only write with one company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents receive extensive training in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some people will only use the same agent mostly because of the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
Finding the right auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Texas?
- Does their agency support local causes in South Houston?
Cheaper rates are available
We just covered a lot of techniques to get a better price on car insurance in South Houston. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, high prices, unfair underwriting practices or being labeled a high risk driver. It doesn't matter what your reason, choosing a new insurance company is less work than it seems.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone dropped collision coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To read more, take a look at the articles below: