If online car insurance comparisons are new to you, by this point your are probably baffled thanks to the incredible selection of insurance providers that all say they have the best rates.
It's hard to believe, but nearly 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in Texas could save an average of about 70% each year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand how easy it is to go online and compare rates.
You need to compare rates as often as possible because prices change regularly. Just because you found the best deal on car insurance a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you're about to learn the fastest way to find lower rates on car insurance.
When comparison shopping, comparing a wide range of rates increases the chance that you will find the best offered rates.
The following companies offer quotes in Schertz, TX. To locate the cheapest car insurance in Texas, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most competitive rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,000||$500||$83|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,126||$563||$94|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,254||$627||$105|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$908||$454||$76|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$764||$382||$64|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$990||$495||$83|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,040||$520||$87|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,242||$621||$104|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,376||$688||$115|
|Nissan Rogue SL AWD||$996||$498||$83|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,034||$517||$86|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD||$906||$453||$76|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in garaging location in Schertz which can raise or lower insurance rates noticeably.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The illustration below shows the comparison of Honda Accord auto insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Texas. The data assumes no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no exact rule to delete physical damage insurance, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Accord replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If premiums are more than $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost in Schertz, paying for auto insurance is required in Texas but it also protects you in many ways.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $700 annually so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to save money.
Do drivers who switch really save $463 a year?
Car insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive endlessly run ads in print and on television. All the ads seem to make the promise that people will save if you switch to them. How do they all offer drivers better rates? It's all in the numbers.
Most companies have specific characteristics for the type of driver they prefer to insure. An example of a profitable insured could possibly be over the age of 50, has a clear driving record, and has great credit. Anyone who fits that profile receives the best auto insurance rates in Schertz and have a good chance to cut their car insurance rates if they switch.
Insureds who don't qualify for this stringent profile may be required to pay higher prices and ends up with the customer buying from someone else. If you listen to the ad wording, they say "people that switch" not "everyone who quotes" can get the lowest rates when switching. That's why insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote.
Because of this risk profiling, you really should compare free Schertz car insurance quotes often. Because you never know which insurance companies will have the best auto insurance rates for your profile.
Insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there may be some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Full Payment Discount - By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- E-sign - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a vehicle that is new can be considerably cheaper because newer models are generally safer.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles may enable drivers to earn better insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Schertz Homeowners Pay Less - Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Driver Safety - Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Air Bag Discount - Options like air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride. But all discounts will definitely lower your policy premium.
Companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good student, multi-policy, education and occupation, multi-car, good driver, and pay-in-full.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, teen driver, distant student, and bundle discounts.
- GEICO offers discounts including military active duty, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, and membership and employees.
- Esurance may offer discounts for paid-in-full, claim free, Switch & Save, defensive driver, online quote, and renters.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including drive less, multi-car, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, accident prevention training, anti-theft, and teen safe driver.
- State Farm may have discounts that include anti-theft, defensive driving training, good student, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, and accident-free.
When quoting, ask every insurance company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not be offered in Schertz. To see insurance companies with discount rates in Schertz, click here to view.
Cheaper car insurance rates are possible
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
We covered some good ideas how to lower your car insurance premium rates in Schertz. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Schertz car insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a small local company.
Budget-friendly car insurance in Schertz can be purchased on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some car insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
Additional detailed information can be found by following these links:
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma in Texas? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Laredo, Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Brownsville, Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for College Students in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Postal Workers in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Texas Car Insurance Quotes for Inexperienced Drivers? (FAQ)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)