Are you tired of scraping nickels together to make your auto insurance payment? You have the same problem as most other drivers in Texas.
Unthinkable but true, most auto insurance customers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and almost half have never taken the time to shop around. The average driver in Texas could save approximately $1,800 every year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate the rate savings if they switched to a more affordable policy. There are many auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to get the best deal for Ford Escape insurance in Houston.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes at least once a year because insurance prices fluctuate regularly. Even if you got the lowest rates on Ford Escape insurance in Houston two years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I'm going to teach you how to use online quotes to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
How to shop Ford Escape insurance online
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Houston, TX. If you want to find the cheapest auto insurance in Texas, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,212||$101|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$232||$404||$438||$26||$130||$1,230||$103|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$204||$378||$392||$24||$118||$1,116||$93|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$142||$218||$310||$18||$94||$782||$65|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$232||$322||$330||$20||$98||$1,002||$84|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$268||$456||$334||$20||$100||$1,178||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in your specific Houston location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates greatly.
Careless driving habits raise Houston auto insurance rates
The illustration below illustrates how violations and at-fault accidents can impact Ford Escape annual premium costs for different age categories. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Full coverage versus liability-only in Houston
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Ford Escape car insurance rates when comparing full coverage to liability only. The rate quotes are based on no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no definitive formula of when to phase out comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Ford Escape settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If premium cost is more than $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good plan. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Auto insurance deductibles
The diagram below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can impact Ford Escape insurance premiums for different ages of insureds. The premiums assume a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no other discounts are factored in.
Why you need Ford Escape insurance in Texas
Despite the high insurance cost for a Ford Escape in Houston, auto insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Escape has a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Ford at a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in Texas is wasting up to $820 a year so it's recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to save money.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Costs
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, but some are less apparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- Know your credit rating - Having a good credit history factor in determining what you pay. Therefore, if your credit rating could use some work, you may save money insuring your Ford Escape by repairing your credit. Insureds that have good credit tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit scores.
- Are males or females drivers cheaper? - The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn't mean men are WORSE drivers than women. They both tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but guys get into accidents with more damage. They also get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Males from age 16 to 21 are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Liability insurance limits should be high - The liability section of your policy will provide protection in the event that a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. This coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- When should you file a insurance claims? - Car insurance companies in Texas give the lowest premiums to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you file claims often, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of claims that pose a financial burden.
- Ford Escape claim data - Companies use data from past claims to determine a rate that will be profitable for them. Models that the statistics show to have higher claim amounts or frequency will cost more to insure. The information below illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Ford Escape vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the loss probablilty for all vehicles, as an average, is considered to be 100. Percentage values below 100 indicate better than average losses, while percentages above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Ford Escape Insurance Loss Statistics
Specific Ford Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Escape 4dr 2WD 80 91 83 94 94 92 Ford Escape 4dr 4WD 81 84 94 85 90 77
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Companies offer many types of discounts on Ford Escape insurance in Houston
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but there could be significant discounts to reduce the price significantly. Certain credits will be shown when you quote, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of 20% or more.
- Active Service Discounts - Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Homeowners Savings - Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Resident Student - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Houston and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not really a discount, but some companies like GEICO and Allstate may permit one accident without raising rates so long as you haven't had any claims for a specific time period.
- Theft Prevention System - Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Smart Student Discounts - Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Having multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Claim Free - Drivers who don't have accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Houston car insurance quote in comparison to bad drivers.
You should keep in mind that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for daytime running lights, air bags, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, federal employee, and driver training.
- Travelers may have discounts that include IntelliDrive, student away at school, good student, multi-car, hybrid/electric vehicle, and continuous insurance.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-vehicle, good student, safe driver, renewal discount, 55 and retired, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including safety features, new move discount, multi-policy, preferred payment discount, and exclusive group savings.
- American Family has discounts for air bags, multi-vehicle, good driver, Steer into Savings, early bird, mySafetyValet, and good student.
- Progressive may offer discounts for homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, good student, and multi-vehicle.
Before you buy a policy, ask all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Some credits may not apply in Houston. To find providers with the best Ford Escape insurance discounts in Texas, click this link.
Insurance agents near you
A small number of people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and also buy local. Buying from and supporting small agencies is still important in Houston.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Houston that can give you free Houston car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you directly. If you need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Auto insurance agents in Houston come in two varieties
If you are wanting to find a local agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agencies can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either type can write policy coverage, but it's a good idea to understand how they differ since it could factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, they can switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will want to include multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agents in Houston who may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents can usually just insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Houston that can give you rate quotes.
Finding a good insurance agent should depend on more than just the quoted price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- How experiences are they in personal risk management?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Houston?
Quote often and quote early
More affordable auto insurance in Houston can be bought both online as well as from independent agents in Houston, so you need to quote Houston car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not have the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles: