How long has it been since you compared the cheapest Chevy Silverado insurance in Houston? Are you sick and tired of not being able to afford to pay your auto insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other people in Texas.
Unbelievable but true according to a study the majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. Most drivers in Texas can save as much as 70% each year by just shopping around, but they underestimate the big savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one. With so many different company options, it's nearly impossible to locate the right auto insurance company.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
Many factors are used when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, but some are not as apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
The items below are just a few of the factors that factor into your prices.
Rural areas have lower prices - Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. People in densely populated areas tend to have more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. Spending more time driving means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
Discounts for married couples - Being married can actually save you money on auto insurance. Having a spouse may mean you are more responsible and insurance companies like that being married results in fewer claims.
Premiums for males may be higher - Statistics have proven females are less aggressive when driving. However, don't assume that women are better drivers. Men and women get in at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically receive more major tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 are the most expensive to insure and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
How much liability coverage - Your policy's liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Always keep your coverage in place - Letting your insurance expire is a quick way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will your rates increase, being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Texas motor vehicle department.
Claims statistics for a Chevy Silverado - Insurers use past insurance losses when determining insurance costs. Vehicles that the data shows to have high amounts or severity of claims will cost more for coverage.
The information below illustrates the insurance loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is considered to be 100. Values below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are 100 or greater indicate a higher chance of having a claim or larger claims.
Chevrolet Silverado Insurance Claim Statistics
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD||76||118||85||78||69||125|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD||60||76||72||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||89||103||131||77||70||94|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||96||105||116||57||57||87|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||90||126||100||88||85||117|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||84||98||89||60||60||88|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD||60||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD||66||97||66|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||76||127||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||88||114||97||45||42||82|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD||80||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||79||105||83||37||43||75|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||98||127||108||54||39||76|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD||129||127|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
All the larger car insurance companies such as State Farm and Allstate provide price estimates online. Getting online quotes for Chevy Silverado insurance in Houston doesn't take much effort because you just enter your required coverages on the page. Once entered, the quote system collects your driving record and credit report and quotes a price based on the information you submitted. Using the web to get rate quotes for Chevy Silverado insurance in Houston makes it simple to compare prices and it's also necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you want to find cheaper car insurance pricing.
To find out what other companies charge, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you duplicate your coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this assures you will have comparison quotes for similar coverage.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Houston, TX. To buy cheap auto insurance in Texas, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$232||$404||$582||$34||$174||$1,426||$119|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$274||$550||$496||$30||$148||$1,498||$125|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$374||$592||$564||$34||$168||$1,732||$144|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$318||$580||$440||$26||$132||$1,496||$125|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$186||$340||$366||$22||$110||$1,024||$85|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$288||$570||$462||$28||$138||$1,486||$124|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$156||$322||$486||$28||$146||$1,138||$95|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$240||$400||$430||$26||$128||$1,224||$102|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$338||$392||$24||$118||$1,058||$88|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$358||$684||$440||$26||$132||$1,640||$137|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$338||$392||$24||$118||$1,058||$88|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$198||$416||$560||$34||$168||$1,376||$115|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$202||$422||$520||$30||$156||$1,330||$111|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$326||$672||$462||$28||$138||$1,626||$136|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$208||$392||$404||$24||$122||$1,150||$96|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$260||$532||$496||$30||$148||$1,466||$122|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$264||$624||$462||$28||$138||$1,516||$126|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$224||$486||$462||$28||$138||$1,338||$112|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in vehicle location which can raise or lower premium rates significantly.
Accidents and violations increase rates
The example below shows how traffic citations and accident claims can drive up Chevrolet Silverado car insurance rates for different age groups. The information is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Three reasons auto insurance is important
Even though Houston Silverado insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it's guaranteed your bank will force you to carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance protects not only your Chevy Silverado but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $855 a year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheaper rates by getting discounts
Some insurers don't always publicize every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Houston car insurance online. If you check and find you aren't receiving every discount you qualify for, you are just wasting money.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Simply working for the federal government could provide a small rate reduction depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Auto/Life Discount - Not all auto insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you lower auto insurance rates if you buy life insurance.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multi-policy Discount - When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with the same insurance company they may give you a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Early Signing - Some auto insurance companies reward drivers for signing up prior to your current Silverado insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Drivers Education - Teen drivers should complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Own a Home - Just owning your own home can help you save on auto insurance since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
As is typical with insurance, many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
To see a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Texas, click this link.
Should I talk to an agent?
Some consumers just want to sit down with an agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find cheap insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
By using this simple form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents in Houston that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact an agency since price quotes are sent to you instantly. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an insurer requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Does their agency support local causes in Houston?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Houston?
- How are they compensated?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
If you want to buy insurance from a local Houston insurance agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they work. Agents in Houston can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can do a good job, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Houston exclusive agencies that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent can sell policies from many different companies and that allows them to write policies through many different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you contact several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Houston willing to provide price quote information.
702 W Sam Houston Pkwy S - Houston, TX 77042 - (713) 914-0354 - View Map
After receiving acceptable answers for all questions you ask and a good coverage price, you may have found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can insure your vehicles. But keep in mind you are entitled to cancel your policy whenever you want so never feel that you are obligated to a policy for a certain time period.
How much insurance do I need?
Always remember that when buying a policy, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Does my Chevy Silverado qualify for pleasure use?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Lower rates by being persistent
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
You just learned a lot of tips how to save on Chevy Silverado insurance in Houston. It's most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Chevrolet Silverado insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Low-cost Chevy Silverado insurance in Houston can be found both online in addition to many Houston insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies may not provide rate quotes online and many times these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agencies.
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Texas Car Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI in Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in Texas? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)