Are you looking for a better way to compare low-cost car insurance rates in Plano, TX? Locating the cheapest insurance for a car in Texas can normally be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips and make it easy.
There are both good and bad ways to find car insurance online so you're going to learn the best way to price shop coverage for a and get the lowest possible price either online or from Plano insurance agents.
If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, take advantage of these tips to buy cheaper car insurance while maintaining coverages. Pricing the best-priced coverage in Plano is simple if you know the tricks. Smart shoppers just need to use the best way to compare insurance rates online.
Lower Plano insurance costs
Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are. Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that play a part in calculating insurance rates. If you understand what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get cheaper rates.
The itemized list below are some of the factors companies use to determine rates.
Car and home together may be cheaper - Some insurance companies apply lower prices to people who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you may still want to compare rates to ensure the best deal.
Drive lots and pay more - The more you drive annually the more it will cost to insure it. Almost all companies apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles that do not get driven very much get more affordable rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Verify your insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Do you have a stressful job? - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupational choices like fire fighters, airline pilots, and emergency personnel generally have higher rates than average because of intense work requirements and long work hours. On the flip side, jobs such as actors, historians and retirees pay the least.
Single drivers may pay more - Getting married actually saves money when buying insurance. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more mature than a single person and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Plano, TX. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Ford Edge Sport 2WD||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$924||$462||$77|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$1,112||$556||$93|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,376||$688||$115|
|GMC Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$1,194||$597||$100|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$946||$473||$79|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$1,000||$500||$83|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$1,704||$852||$142|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$1,578||$789||$132|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,470||$735||$123|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,064||$532||$89|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in garaging location in Plano which can decrease or increase coverage rates greatly.
Analysis of deductible levels
The illustration below illustrates how your deductible choice and can impact Chevrolet Malibu insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The premiums assume a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Car insurance prices based on gender
The information below illustrates the comparison of insurance rates for male and female drivers in Plano. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in on a GMC Acadia SLE.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance advertising tricks
Texas consumers can't avoid all the ads that promise big savings for switching by Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies make the same claim about savings if you move to them.
How do they all give you a lower rate on car insurance? You have to listen carefully.
Companies require specific criteria for a prospective insured that will add to their bottom line. A good example of a profitable insured might be married and over the age of 30, has a low-risk occupation, and has a high credit rating. Someone who matches that profile may get the lowest prices in Plano and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don't measure up to these standards will probably have to pay a higher premium which leads to business going elsewhere. If you pay attention, the ads say "people that switch" not "everyone who quotes" save the amount stated. That is how insurance companies can make claims that they all have the best prices.
Because of these techniques, you really should compare as many free Plano car insurance quotes as you can. It's just too difficult to predict the company that will have the lowest rate quotes.
Best reasons to buy auto insurance in Texas
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying auto insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $800 each year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Cut your insurance rates with discounts
Some companies do not advertise every possible discount very clearly, so we researched a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find credits that may apply to you. If you're not getting every credit you qualify for, you could be getting lower rates.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers that enable their insurance company to analyze when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Allstate's Drivewise could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Discount for Good Grades - Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Safe Driver Discounts - Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Plano car insurance quote compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Seat Belts Save - Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Homeowners Savings - Owning a home in Plano can save you money because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles with the same company can get a discount for every vehicle.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
Larger insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- State Farm discounts include student away at school, multiple policy, driver's education, accident-free, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and Drive Safe & Save.
- American Family may offer discounts for Steer into Savings, accident-free, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, and air bags.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for air bags, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, good student, and emergency military deployment.
- 21st Century offers discounts including homeowners, teen driver, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, and air bags.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
If you are trying to find low cost Plano car insurance quotes, ask each company to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not apply in Plano. To see a list of insurers with significant discounts in Plano, click here to view.
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
Some consumers just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find lower premium rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local insurance agencies is definitely important in Plano.
After completing this short form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that provide free Plano car insurance quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
If you're trying to find a local Plano insurance agency, it's important to understand the types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Auto insurance policy providers can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Either type can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it is important to understand how they differ because it may have an impact on your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are not locked into one company so they can quote policies through many companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. When comparing rates, you should always compare quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison. Most also write with mutual insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Selecting an car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Plano should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
After receiving good responses in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you've probably found an insurance agency that will properly insure your vehicles. But keep in mind you are able to cancel a policy whenever you choose to so don't assume that you're stuck with any specific agency indefinitely.
Affordable car insurance is out there
We just presented some good ideas how to lower your car insurance prices in Plano. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding affordable Plano car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, policy cancellation, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new car insurance company is actually quite simple.
Cheaper car insurance in Plano is attainable online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who don't offer price quotes online and usually these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Lubbock, Texas? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Killeen, Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in Texas? (FAQ)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)