How long has it been since the last time you looked for more competitive auto insurance rates in Port Arthur, TX? Are you at wits end from wondering where the money will come from to insure your vehicles every month? You have the same problem as many other Texas consumers.
Remarkably, a study showed that most auto insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and just under half have never shopped around. Drivers in Texas can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched to a more affordable policy.
With so many options when it comes to auto insurance, it is hard for the average consumer to find the lowest cost insurer.
This article's intent is to teach you the most effective ways to compare rates. If you're already insured, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using the tips covered below. Nevertheless, Texas consumers must know how the larger insurance companies calculate their prices and use it to your advantage.
How to lower your car insurance cost in Port Arthur, Texas
Just remember that making a lot of price comparisons will increase your chances of finding more affordable rates.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Texas. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in Texas, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,404||$702||$117|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,278||$639||$107|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$984||$492||$82|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,306||$653||$109|
|Ford Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$1,194||$597||$100|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,684||$842||$140|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Navigation||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,878||$939||$157|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,076||$538||$90|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,670||$835||$139|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,396||$698||$116|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$952||$476||$79|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,378||$689||$115|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can raise or lower coverage prices significantly.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Nissan Sentra car insurance costs with and without full coverage. The premiums assume no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There is no definitive formula to delete full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Nissan Sentra claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage in place.
Car insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Port Arthur, paying for car insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Port Arthur overpays as much as $830 a year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Are you receiving every discount?
Some insurance providers don't list every possible discount very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits available to you. If you're not getting every credit possible, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Payment Method - If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for Good Grades - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less when compared with bad drivers.
- Resident Student - Youth drivers living away from Port Arthur attending college without a vehicle on campus could qualify for this discount.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - When you combine your home and auto insurance and insure them with the same company you could save nearly 15% which can help you find low cost Port Arthur auto insurance.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
A list of auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include safe vehicle, accident-free, passive restraint, defensive driving training, anti-theft, and Drive Safe & Save.
- American Family discounts include good driver, TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, and defensive driver.
- AAA may offer discounts for multi-car, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good student, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for good student, anti-theft, driver training, seat belt use, and daytime running lights.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for professional/association, multi-car, anti-theft, good driver, accident-free, location of vehicle, and low natural disaster claims.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for homeowner, business and professional, alternative fuel, youthful driver, early shopping, multi-car, and pay in full.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and online signing.
It's a good idea to ask every prospective company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies in Port Arthur. If you would like to view insurers who offer free auto insurance quotes in Port Arthur, click here to view.
Auto insurance agents can help
Certain consumers still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get better rates but also keep your business local. Buying from and supporting local agencies is important especially in Port Arthur.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your insurance coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Port Arthur that provide free Port Arthur auto insurance quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to your email. You'll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, you can always go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
If you want to buy insurance from a reputable agency, it's important to understand the different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agents can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles through many different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to do anything. When searching for an agent, you should always include rate quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Agents that elect to be exclusive are contracted to one company and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a low price. Any agent in Port Arthur should be willing to answer these questions.
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Port Arthur?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Does their agency support local causes in Port Arthur?
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When quoting and choosing the best insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Your financial needs are unique and your insurance should unique, too. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Cheap car insurance premiums are possible
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out they didn't have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance companies may not offer internet price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents. Cost effective car insurance is possible on the web and with local Port Arthur insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
You just learned some good ideas how you can get a better price on car insurance in Port Arthur. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the best prices are with the smaller companies. These companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
To learn more, link through to the articles below:
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for High Mileage Drivers in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Dodge Ram in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Texas Auto Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Texas? (FAQ)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)