No car owner looks forward to paying premiums for car insurance, especially knowing they could find better rates elsewhere.
Unthinkable but true, a large majority of consumers have been with the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared car insurance rates at all. Consumers in Texas can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they don't know how much savings they would realize if they moved their coverage to a different company.
There is such a variety of car insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it's a good thing to be able to choose, it can be more difficult to find the best rates for your vehicles.
Our objective is to instruct you on how to compare rates easily and how you can save the most money. If you have a current insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas you're about to read. Nevertheless, Texas vehicle owners do need to learn the methods companies use to price insurance differently and use it to find better rates.
The quickest method to compare car insurance company rates is to understand auto insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare their rates. All consumers are required to do is give them some information such as your occupation, deductibles desired, whether you are married, and if you lease or own. That rating information is instantly submitted to many of the top insurers and you receive quotes within a short period of time.
To start a rate quote now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Lubbock, TX. If your goal is to find the best auto insurance in Texas, we suggest you visit several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,356||$678||$113|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$1,442||$721||$120|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$1,154||$577||$96|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,792||$896||$149|
|Ford Edge SEL 2WD||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Ford Explorer XLT 2WD||$1,086||$543||$91|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$858||$429||$72|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,206||$603||$101|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,258||$629||$105|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Islander Package 4WD 4-Dr||$1,028||$514||$86|
|Mazda 3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,386||$693||$116|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,200||$600||$100|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,616||$808||$135|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can alter rates significantly.
Physical damage deductible comparison
The chart below highlights how deductible choice and can impact Chevrolet Silverado insurance costs for each age group. The prices are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Auto insurance just makes sense
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. The average driver in America overpays as much as $869 every year so shop around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Buyer beware of insurance advertising tricks
Insurance providers like Allstate and Progressive regularly use television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to make the point about saving some big amount just by switching your insurance policy to them. How does each company save you money on insurance? You have to listen carefully.
Most companies can use profiling for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For example, this type of insured could possibly be a married male, has never had a claim, and drives a safe vehicle. Any customer that fits those parameters will get low prices and as a result will probably save if they switch.
People who don't meet this ideal profile will have to pay a higher premium which leads to the prospect going elsewhere. If you listen closely, the ads state "drivers who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save that much when switching. That is how companies can claim big savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers must get price quotes at each policy renewal. It is just not possible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
These discounts can lower your car insurance quotes
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might be missing out on some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. A few discounts will automatically apply when you purchase, but a few need to be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Vehicles optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Cautious Driver Discounts - Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- New Car Discount - Putting car insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Own a Home - Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low annual miles may enable drivers to earn substantially lower rates.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds who allow driving data submission to study vehicle usage through the use of a telematics system such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction as long as the data is positive.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but a few companies such as GEICO and Liberty Mutual permit an accident without the usual rate increase as long as you don't have any claims before the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driving Course - Taking time to complete a class that teaches defensive driving techniques can save you 5% or more and make you a better driver.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like it's possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business. Any amount of discount will cut the premium cost.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- GEICO includes discounts for emergency military deployment, driver training, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, and daytime running lights.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including teen safety rewards, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, accident prevention training, and anti-theft.
- State Farm may offer discounts for accident-free, multiple autos, safe vehicle, good student, passive restraint, defensive driving training, and good driver.
- MetLife offers discounts for multi-policy, good student, claim-free, defensive driver, accident-free, good driver
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for air bags, good student, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, homeowners, and teen driver.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, online quote discount, online signing, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find affordable Lubbock auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Savings may not be offered in Lubbock.
When should I talk to an insurance agency?
Some consumers would rather talk to a local agent. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local agents is definitely important in Lubbock.
By using this quick form, your coverage information is sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find lower rates without a big time investment. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Types of car insurance agents in Lubbock
If you prefer to buy insurance from an insurance agent, it's helpful to know the different types of agents and how they operate. Agencies in Lubbock can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and find you the best rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from multiple independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
These agents are contracted to one company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Picking an insurance agent requires more thought than just the quoted price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- How are they compensated?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a "perfect" insurance plan. Each situation is unique and your auto insurance should be unique as well. For example, these questions could help you determine whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Texas?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Lower rates by being persistent
Throughout this article, we presented many ways to lower your car insurance premium rates in Lubbock. It's most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites:
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Jeep Wrangler in Texas? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)