Do you want an efficient way to compare more competitive insurance rates in Odessa, TX? Beginners to shopping for auto insurance online might discover locating the cheapest Odessa auto insurance is very challenging.
It's astonishing, but the vast majority of insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in Texas can cut their rates by roughly 70% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of money they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Odessa car insurance prices are influenced by these factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that could result in better car insurance rates.
How many coverages with the same company - Lots of companies afford a discount to customers that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it's always a smart idea to check prices from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. It's possible to still find a better deal by buying from different companies
The type of vehicle makes a difference - The performance of the car, truck or SUV you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a big difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger models, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Pay less if you're married - Your spouse helps lower the price on car insurance. Having a spouse means you're more mature and statistics prove married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
High physical damage deductibles save money - Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a broken side mirror, damage caused by hail, or theft. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more expense the insured is willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Save money by having excellent credit - Having a bad credit score factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. If your credit is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit. People with high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores.
When price shopping your coverage, getting more free quotes provides better odds of finding a lower rate.
The companies in the list below can provide comparison quotes in Texas. If you want cheap car insurance in Texas, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 2WD||$1,300||$650||$108|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,434||$717||$120|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Crew||$906||$453||$76|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$1,406||$703||$117|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$990||$495||$83|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$1,388||$694||$116|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,168||$584||$97|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,316||$658||$110|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,014||$507||$85|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$1,186||$593||$99|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2WD 4-Dr||$1,448||$724||$121|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$952||$476||$79|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,578||$789||$132|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,330||$665||$111|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,084||$542||$90|
|Toyota RAV4 2WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in your specific Odessa location which can lower or raise prices noticeably.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The illustration below shows the comparison of Dodge Ram insurance rates with full phyical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The premiums are based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Dodge Ram rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no exact rule to stop paying for comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Dodge Ram replacement cost is $6,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $5,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $500 a year to have full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not buy liability only.
Policy deductible comparison
A question often asked by Odessa drivers is how high should the physical damage deductibles be. The figures shown below outline the differences in price of buying low and high coverage deductibles. The first pricing table uses a $250 deductible for comp and collision and the second set of rates uses a $1,000 deductible.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in Odessa location which can influence premium rates substantially.
Based on the above data, using a $250 deductible will cost you roughly $29 more each month or $348 a year than quoting the higher $1,000 deductible. Since you would pay $750 more out of your own pocket with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you usually have at a minimum 26 months between claim filings, you would most likely save money by going with a higher deductible.
Impact of citations and accidents on Odessa insurance rates
The chart below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents impact Kia Optima auto insurance costs for different age groups. The prices are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the high insurance cost in Odessa, insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also pay for medical bills for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in Texas overpays as much as $865 each year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Car insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Car insurance companies don't always advertise all possible discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and also the lesser-known credits that may apply to you.
- Good Student Discount - Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car model can be considerably cheaper since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discounts for Good Drivers - Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being on active duty in the military could mean lower car insurance rates.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, you won't be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts should help reduce the amount you have to pay.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- Travelers may include discounts for save driver, multi-policy, student away at school, hybrid/electric vehicle, payment discounts, continuous insurance, and home ownership.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including air bags, homeowners, defensive driver, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm has savings for defensive driving training, driver's education, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, good student, multi-policy, and seat belt use.
- SAFECO includes discounts for bundle discounts, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, drive less, and anti-theft.
- AAA discounts include good driver, multi-policy, good student, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and AAA membership discount.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to view providers with the best car insurance discounts in Texas, follow this link.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
When it comes to buying your policy, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every insured's situation is different.
These are some specific questions might point out if you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my vehicle?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Texas?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Find affordable auto insurance rates by comparing often
Consumers switch companies for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal or even poor customer service. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a great new company is actually quite simple.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Odessa is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Odessa insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide price quotes online and many times these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage and learned later they didn't have enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More detailed auto insurance information can be found in these articles:
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Texas Car Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Pasadena, Texas? (FAQ)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)