Having to pay for expensive insurance in Harker Heights can dry up your accounts and put the squeeze on your family's finances. Comparison shopping is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
It's amazing but 70% of consumers have been with the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never compared insurance rates at all. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers could pocket $850 a year just by shopping around, but they feel it's too difficult to compare rates and save money.
Big companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm all claim big savings, bombarding you with ads and it can be hard to see through the deception and find the best price available.
If you are insured now, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using the concepts covered in this article. Locating the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Harker Heights is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. Although Texas vehicle owners must comprehend how companies determine what you pay because it can help you find the best coverage.
Lower Harker Heights insurance premiums
It's important that you understand a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating your premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower premium levels. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but other criteria are less apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
Accidents will cost you - Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Having a single chargable violation can increase rates forty percent or more. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Drivers who have flagrant violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive.
Gender and auto insurance rates - Statistics demonstrate that females take fewer risks when driving. However, don't assume that females are better at driving than males. Men and women cause fender benders at a similar rate, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high insurance rates.
What's your car's IIHS safety rating? - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles protect occupants better and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
Cheaper prices for being claim-free - If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Car insurance companies in Texas give cheaper rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Deter theft and pay less - Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your insurance. Anti-theft features such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Annual mileage and car insurance rates - The higher the mileage driven each year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies charge rates determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that are left in the garage can be on a lower rate level than cars that get driven a lot. Verify your insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage.
Physical damage deductibles - Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles you choose represent how much money you are required to pay in the event of a claim. The more damage repair cost the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
To find the cheapest Harker Heights car insurance quotes, there are several ways of comparing price quotes from many different Texas insurance companies. The quickest method to do a complete rate comparison is to jump online and get quotes.
It's so easy to compare rates online that it makes it a waste of time to physically go to local Harker Heights insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you're the type of person who wants the peace of mind that only a licensed agent can provide. Although you can obtain prices from the web but buy from a local Harker Heights insurance agent.
When price shopping your coverage, obtaining a wide range of quotes helps improve the odds of finding a lower rate. Some smaller insurers do not give quotes online, so it's necessary to compare price estimates from them as well.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Texas. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in Texas, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,092||$546||$91|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,120||$560||$93|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$1,542||$771||$129|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$764||$382||$64|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$840||$420||$70|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Ford Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$2,068||$1,034||$172|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$764||$382||$64|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,176||$588||$98|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,068||$534||$89|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,396||$698||$116|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase coverage prices significantly.
Harker Heights insurance premiums for males versus females
The example below illustrates the difference between insurance prices for male and female drivers in Harker Heights. The costs are based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in on a Ford Escape XLS.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Driving violations and accidents
The example below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents can impact Nissan Altima insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Harker Heights overpays more than $855 a year so shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Discounts for lower Harker Heights auto insurance rates
Car insurance is not cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not know about. Certain reductions will be credited at quote time, but some need to be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with all your vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Pay Early and Save - If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- One Accident Forgiven - This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don't have any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- E-sign - A few auto insurance companies provide a small discount get Harker Heights car insurance online.
- No Accidents - Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Discount for Good Grades - A discount for being a good student may save you up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Organization Discounts - Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Harker Heights could qualify you for a break when getting a Harker Heights car insurance quote.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Harker Heights car insurance quote compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Own a Home - Owning a house in Harker Heights may earn you a small savings since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Larger auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- State Farm offers discounts for accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, multiple autos, multiple policy, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include business and professional, electronic funds transfer, early shopping, good student, alternative fuel, and multi-car.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-theft, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, seat belt use, and multi-vehicle.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including teen driver, safe driver, anti-theft, paid in full, multi-policy, student away at school, and group or association.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include vehicle fuel type, driver training, air bag, anti-theft, defensive driver, and bundle.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-vehicle, renewal discount, 55 and retired, youthful driver, and driver training.
- USAA offers premium reductions for new vehicle, multi-policy, family discount, safe driver, and vehicle storage.
If you need lower rates, check with every insurance company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in Harker Heights. To see providers that offer discounts in Texas, click this link.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When selecting proper insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it's worth?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Lower-priced insurance in Harker Heights is definitely available online as well as from insurance agents, so you need to shop Harker Heights car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who do not offer rates over the internet and many times these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, being labeled a high risk driver or even extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right insurance provider can be easier than you think.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting low cost Harker Heights car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from the smaller companies.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in McKinney, TX? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Dodge Journey in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for College Students in Texas? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)