If shopping for Midlothian auto insurance quotes online is new to you, you can easily be confused because of the huge number of local and online companies all claiming to save you money.
Astonishing but true, nearly 70% of drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. With the average premium in Texas being $2,700, drivers could save an average of $1,766 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't invest the time required to compare rates and save money.
It's a good habit to quote other rates before your policy renews because auto insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Despite the fact that you may have had the best premium rates on auto insurance a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate the right way to find better coverage on auto insurance at a better price.
If you are already insured, you will most likely be able to cut your premiums using the concepts you're about to learn. Finding and buying the lowest-priced coverage in Midlothian is not as difficult as people think. Nevertheless, Texas consumers need to have an understanding of how big insurance companies determine what you pay and take advantage of how the system works.
Eight things that impact your premiums
Lots of factors are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although others are more transparent such as whether you are married or your commute time. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that help calculate car insurance rates. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower premium levels.
Older drivers pay less - Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and usually have better credit.Drivers with little experience are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
Only buy what you need - There are quite a few extra add-on coverages that can add up but may not be useful. Add-on coverages like rental car reimbursement, better glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. They may sound like good ideas when talking to your agent, but if they're wasting money remove them and pocket the money.
Safer the car lower the rate - Cars with five star safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and fewer injuries means less claims paid and cheaper rates on your policy.
High coverage deductibles save money - The deductibles you choose are the amount of money the insured will be required to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also called 'full coverage', covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, animal collisions, and damage from wind. The larger the amount you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
Limits of liability coverage - Your car insurance policy's liability coverage kicks in if ever you are responsible for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your policy's liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is pretty cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates - Going without insurance is a sure-fire way to bump up your car insurance costs. Not only will you pay higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Texas motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
You may save more by combining policies - Most major companies apply lower prices for people that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can add up to as much as ten percent or more Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Gals tend to cost less - The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Females and males are in auto accidents in similar numbers, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Young men ages 16 to 20 are most likely to cause an accident and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
How to buy Midlothian car insurance online
It's important to know that comparing all the rates in your area will improve the odds of getting the best price. Not every company does online quotes, so you should also compare prices from those companies as well.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$1,350||$675||$113|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,380||$690||$115|
|Ford Edge SEL AWD||$1,318||$659||$110|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,278||$639||$107|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$972||$486||$81|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,008||$504||$84|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,146||$573||$96|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,374||$687||$115|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,460||$730||$122|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,242||$621||$104|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,214||$607||$101|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,424||$712||$119|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Toyota Tacoma 4WD||$1,214||$607||$101|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in your specific Midlothian location which can alter premium rates greatly.
How high should deductibles be?
One of the most common car insurance questions is how low should you set your deductibles. The comparison tables below may help you to understand the premium difference between high and low physical damage coverage deductibles. The first pricing table uses a $100 deductible for comp and collision and the second rate chart uses a $1,000 deductible.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in your specific Midlothian location which can alter rates substantially.
Using the premium rates above, we can conclude that using a $100 deductible costs about $41 more each month or $492 annually than opting for the higher $1,000 deductible. Because you would pay $900 more to file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to have more than 22 months between claim filings, you would save more money by going with a higher deductible. The table below illustrates the way you can make this decision for your own policy.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$136|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||- $95|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$41|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 - $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $41|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||22 months|
One important note is that raising deductibles to save money means you will have to pay more out-of-pocket when you have a comprehensive or collision claim. You should have some savings in the event you have to pay the deductible to have repairs made.
Driving violations and accidents
The example below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can raise Honda Civic insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Car insurance rates based on gender
The chart below illustrates the difference between auto insurance rates for male and female drivers in Midlothian. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, full coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium on a Honda Pilot EX.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three good reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Midlothian, buying insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your vehicle at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your vehicle gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $855 a year so we recommend shopping around at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Get discounts on Midlothian auto insurance
Companies don't always list every policy discount in a way that's easy to find, so the following list contains some of the best known as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Accident Forgiveness - This isn't a discount exactly, but some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims for a specific time period.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Select auto insurance companies reward you with lower prices if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers that enable their company to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive may see discounts if they are good drivers.
- Distant Student Discount - Older children who attend college more than 100 miles from Midlothian and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, auto insurance companies aren't that generous. Any amount of discount will bring down the cost of your policy.
A few companies who might offer some of the above discounts possibly include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies to apply every possible discount. A few discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Texas, click here to view.
Can't I compare rates from local Midlothian insurance agencies?
Some people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this short form, the quote information gets sent to agents in your area who will give you quotes to get your business. You never need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Finding a good insurance company requires more thought than just a low price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Midlothian?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- How often do they review coverages?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Every insured's situation is different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Quote more and you will save more
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the most savings is with a small local company. Smaller companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Immigrants in Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Texas Car Insurance Rates for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Texas Auto Insurance for High School Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male in Texas? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Amarillo, Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Young Drivers in Texas? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Irving, Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Texas Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Texas Car Insurance Rates for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox in Texas? (FAQ)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)