Do you need a fast way to compare more competitive auto insurance rates in Mount Pleasant, TX? Cutting costs on auto insurance can be hard for people who have little experience shopping for insurance online. With more and more online companies available, it can be a ton of work to find the best price in Texas on auto insurance.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that almost 70% of insureds kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared auto insurance rates at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,700, Mount Pleasant drivers could save themselves approximately $1,800 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they feel it's too difficult to compare rates.
How to get affordable auto insurance in Mount Pleasant
To find more affordable quotes, there are a couple of ways of comparing rate quotes from many different Texas insurance companies. The fastest way to find affordable insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online.
Just keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes will increase your chances of finding a better price.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Mount Pleasant, TX. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Texas, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS 2WD||$1,322||$661||$110|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,402||$701||$117|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$1,474||$737||$123|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,096||$548||$91|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$1,058||$529||$88|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,580||$790||$132|
|GMC Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$950||$475||$79|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,986||$993||$166|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$1,142||$571||$95|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,288||$644||$107|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport Islander Package 4WD 2-Dr||$914||$457||$76|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,640||$820||$137|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,292||$646||$108|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,060||$530||$88|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,068||$534||$89|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in zip code location which can modify coverage prices substantially.
Physical damage deductibles: Should you raise them?
One frequently asked question is which deductible level should you buy. The following tables outline the difference in cost when you select higher and lower coverage deductibles. The first pricing table uses a $100 comprehensive and collision deductible and the second data table uses a $500 deductible.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,237||$103|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,237||$103|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,237||$103|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$328||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,279||$107|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$328||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,279||$107|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$328||$592||$324||$20||$96||$1,385||$115|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$208||$328||$324||$20||$96||$976||$81|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$208||$328||$324||$20||$96||$976||$81|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$208||$328||$324||$20||$96||$976||$81|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$240||$328||$324||$20||$96||$1,008||$84|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$240||$328||$324||$20||$96||$1,008||$84|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$240||$400||$324||$20||$96||$1,080||$90|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in Mount Pleasant location which can influence coverage rates significantly.
Based on these figures, using a $100 deductible could cost the average driver approximately $22 more each month or $264 a year than buying the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more out of your own pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you usually have more than 18 months between claims, you would save money by going with a higher deductible.
Should you buy full coverage?
The diagram below shows the difference between Honda Civic auto insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no exact rule to drop physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's assume your Honda Civic claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying in excess of $800 annually for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Car insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Mount Pleasant, paying for car insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. The average driver in America overpays more than $700 annually so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Is there deception in advertising?
Well-known insurance companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads on TV and radio. All the companies tend to make the same promise that people will save just by switching your coverage to them. How do they all give you a better price on insurance? Here is the trick they use.
Companies have underwriting criteria for the right customer that earns them a profit. An example of this type of insured may need to be a mature driver, owns their home, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. Any new insured that fits those parameters gets the lowest car insurance rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot on Mount Pleasant insurance if they switch.
Consumers who fall short of those standards will be quoted higher premium rates with the end result being the customer not buying. The ads state "drivers that switch" not "everyone who quotes" save that much money. This is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. This really drives home the point why you really need to get price quotes at each policy renewal. It's just not possible to know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest insurance in Mount Pleasant.
Insurance discounts are available to lower rates
Car insurance companies do not list their entire list of discounts in a way that's easy to find, so here is a list a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to bring down your rates. If you do not double check each discount you deserve, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few larger companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you can combine your home and auto policy and insure them with the same company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multi-line Discount - Select companies reward you with a lower insurance rate if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Mount Pleasant Homeowners Discount - Simply owning a home can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Good Driver Discount - Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory air bags may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Distant Student - Youth drivers who live away from home at college and don't have a car can receive lower rates.
- Senior Citizens - Older drivers may qualify for better insurance rates.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears you could get a free insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide include:
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, multiple autos, anti-theft, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, good student, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, online signing, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- MetLife offers discounts for good driver, multi-policy, good student, claim-free, defensive driver, accident-free
- Farm Bureau has discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, renewal discount, safe driver, good student, and 55 and retired.
- GEICO may include discounts for multi-policy, five-year accident-free, driver training, good student, membership and employees, and emergency military deployment.
- SAFECO has savings for teen safe driver, accident prevention training, multi-car, anti-theft, safe driver, and homeowner.
If you want low cost Mount Pleasant car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in every state. To find insurance companies who offer online insurance quotes in Texas, follow this link.
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
Always remember that when buying your policy, there isn't really a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- Is pet coverage available?
- What is GAP insurance?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If it's difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Insurance coverage options
Knowing the specifics of a insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Shown next are the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a bird, hitting a deer, hail damage and damage from flooding. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle, hitting a parking meter, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to bump up the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Insurance for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for prosthetic devices, pain medications and dental work. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance
This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property. It protects YOU from claims by other people, and doesn't cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have values of 30/60/25 which means a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as legal defense fees, funeral expenses and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
As you shop your coverage around, it's a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented many ideas to save on auto insurance in Mount Pleasant. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better chance you'll have of finding the cheapest Mount Pleasant car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Even more information is available by following these links: