I can't think of a single person who anticipates paying for auto insurance, especially when they know their premiums are through the roof.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for four years or more, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Texas drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rate quotes online.
Many insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates and uncover the absolute cheapest price on auto insurance.
If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will surely be able to shop for the lowest rates using these methods. Locating the best rates in Saginaw is quite easy. But Texas car owners do need to learn how companies charge you for coverage and apply this information to your search.
The method we recommend to get policy rate comparisons is to know the fact most of the larger companies participate in a system to give you rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide a little information like if a SR-22 is required, the year, make and model of vehicles, if you have an active license, and your job. Those rating factors is sent automatically to all major companies and you will receive price estimates immediately.
To compare rates for your car now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Saginaw.
The following companies are our best choices to provide quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$966||$483||$81|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$1,578||$789||$132|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$840||$420||$70|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$1,380||$690||$115|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,580||$790||$132|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,308||$654||$109|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$946||$473||$79|
|Honda Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,300||$650||$108|
|Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2-Dr||$1,240||$620||$103|
|Kia Optima SX||$1,518||$759||$127|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,252||$626||$104|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,516||$758||$126|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Prices do not factor in specific location information which can lower or raise coverage prices substantially.
Liability only or full coverage
The information below illustrates the difference between GMC Acadia premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. The costs are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no written rule for excluding comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your GMC Acadia replacement cost is $6,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it's costing in excess of $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Driving violations and accidents
The information below demonstrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders increase Kia Optima insurance premiums for each age group. The data is based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance is an important decision
Even though rates can get expensive, paying for insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average driver in Texas is overpaying over $830 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Smart buyers know how to buy auto insurance more affordably
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that go into determining your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates. Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but other factors are less apparent like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven.
Shown below are some of the things companies use to determine premiums.
- High credit scores save money - Your credit rating can be an important factor in your rate calculation. If your credit rating could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with poor credit.
- Small claims can cost you - Insurance companies in Texas give the lowest premiums to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Single drivers may pay higher costs - Having a spouse may save some money on auto insurance. It translates into being less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married are more cautious.
- If you don't need it don't buy it - Insurance policies have a lot of optional add-on coverages that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Things like replacement cost coverage, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them remove them and pocket the money.
- Save money with higher comp and collision deductibles - Your deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims could be rearending another vehicle, hail damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the less your auto insurance will be.
- High performance vehicles cost more to insure - The type of car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a huge difference in your rates. The lowest rates are usually for low performance passenger vehicles, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Traffic violations increase costs - Your driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Only having one ticket may increase your cost substantially. Drivers with clean records get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have gotten license-revoking citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
Get cheaper rates with discounts
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there could be significant discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but a few must be specifically requested in order for you to get them. If you check and find you aren't receiving every discount available, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Theft Deterrent System - Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Keeping the miles down may enable drivers to earn slightly better prices than normal.
- Distant Student - College-age children who attend college more than 100 miles from Saginaw and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Government Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could provide a small rate reduction depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - Not necessarily a discount, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less than less cautious drivers.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
A few popular companies and the discounts they provide can be read below.
- GEICO offers discounts including federal employee, military active duty, five-year accident-free, multi-policy, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for good student, anti-lock brakes, mature driver, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- American Family may have discounts that include good driver, air bags, multi-vehicle, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, and defensive driver.
- Esurance discounts include claim free, defensive driver, online quote, homeowner, emergency road assistance, and multi-car.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, and online signing.
- State Farm may offer discounts for safe vehicle, multiple policy, good driver, accident-free, driver's education, passive restraint, and Drive Safe & Save.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, pay-in-full, multi-car, AAA membership discount, good student, good driver, and anti-theft.
When getting free Saginaw car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Saginaw.
Getting quotes from local Saginaw insurance agents
Certain consumers prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap insurance rates and still have a local agent. And supporting local agencies is definitely important in Saginaw.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your information is immediately sent to companies in Saginaw who will give you quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best insurance company should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- How long has their agency been open in Saginaw?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
If you feel you receive good responses for all questions you ask as well as an affordable premium quote, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurance company that can be relied on to provide insurance coverage.
Compare car insurance rates regularly to save
We've covered a lot of information how to shop for car insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Saginaw car insurance, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest prices come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
Budget-friendly car insurance in Saginaw is available on the web in addition to many Saginaw insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies may not provide online rate quotes and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- How Much is Car Insurance in Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Young Drivers in Texas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores in Texas? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Malibu in Texas? (FAQ)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)